Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Curl Types Botticelli

Interview with Simone "Saimo" Bevilacqua




retrogaming fans will certainly hear about BOH , an action game that seems to come directly from the 1990, but made in recent times by Simone "Saimo" Bevilacqua, passionate game developer that was able to fully demonstrate his talents on different platforms. But I leave this talk about the direct question!



For the fourth round Heading Interviews , here are the words of Saimo in person!

*

H) Simone "Saimo" Bevilacqua is known to the public retrogamer BOH for making an action game with a vintage flavor, fun and adrenaline, which is available for both PC and Mac and Linux . From your homepage we note that there is more and then tell us a bit 'Saima.

SB) I will let the answers provided below to give an idea.
Here I will only showcase my obstinacy: BOH is also available for AmigaOS 4 (on which it was developed) and AROS !


H) Looking at the platforms on which you've developed (mainly C-64 and Amiga), you see your love for the so-called retrocomputing: how the passion for the world of video games and have only ever really beloved machines Commodore?

SB) passion for the world of video games has roots in another: without taking it too far, let's say the starting point is my "creative spirit". When, at the age of 6 years, saw action in the C64 of my cousin, I feel greatly attracted to the world that I was opening before his eyes. In retrospect, I realized that attraction was due not only to beauty in the video game itself, but also the stimulus that my imagination and my creativity received.

As for Commodore machines , things went well ...
At 8 years, during my first communion, I received a gift the C64. For years I used only the C64, isolated and unaware of the computer world that it was developing. During the years of high school, I felt so good to talk of 'a few friends Amiga, PC users , that the transition was natural, therefore, bought, virtually sight unseen, Amiga 1200.
That said, does not mean that has known and worked with (and in some cases, appreciated) Other machines.



H) Are you a gamer than a collector or you are more interested in the purely recreational?

SB) 'm not a collector, nor do I claim to be a true gamer. I like videogames so much, but I like it so much more developed ( games and more), I spend almost all my time to create. Those rare times I allow myself a little 'relaxation video games, I dedicate myself to the C64 and Amiga titles that I have not enjoyed in years past.

Simon presents the BOH 1UP Store
H) I know you have answered this question a million times, but tell us a bit 'of BOH! How were you born? What feedback did you receive? So you are planning to give it a sequel?

SB) stems from the BOH to materialize a vision that I turned my head for years and that is the basis of its graphics engine. At the beginning, in fact, the project was only one - a little thing called, hence the name, which is nothing but the very common interjection Italian. Realizing the potential involvement of the motor (because of its remarkable effect of claustrophobia), I came naturally build a game over. Still further, I realized that it was worthwhile to propose a commercial uniqueness of what I had in my hands.

The game had excellent feedback from anyone who has devoted the necessary attention (by its nature, is not a product that can be appreciated at a glance surface).

There are no sequels: it is because I am interested to devote to something else, and because, after all, I published the first release 14 free updates that make the latest version of a real sequel!



H) The spread of the BOH is your game in a professional manner, with much of the company (Editel snc): Tell us about your experience to professional developer in Italy.

SB) To be clear, the company is not mine: it is a publishing company owned by friends who supported me in this task (neutral, however, considered the video game market and the current gaming culture) .

the second part of your question I do not have much to answer for: they are a real bedroom coder , like the good old days. And if you are also interested in work experience outside the games ... Well, never mind, because I am a fish out of water, which in the modern computing world there is found precisely.

H) What is your vision of the gaming industry today? How do you interpret the prevalence of small independent software houses and the apparent return (at least trend) to the gameplay as a center gaming experience (with a subsequent return to 2D and in some cases to the pixel art)?

SB) E 'speech too complex that I can not address in its entirety, so forgive me if I throw down just some food for thought.

The direction that has taken the industry mainstream I do not like, because the real game is increasingly being supplanted by what he calls "interactive experiences . "Although, technically, the" games "are aspects of high level, more often are empty shells! We're to the point that even today we get to put into question a key aspect of the (video) game: the challenge . Let me be clear: I'm not saying that the type of products of today there should be, just that I find a great evil is to forget the "real" video game, helping to form a videogame culture poorer, shallow ( The speech also has social implications, but this is not the place to talk about it).

Turning to indie scene, I would say that the large number of small developers is due to the enormous distribution of hardware and software that make it possible to create many. The "return to gameplay", so to speak, is largely a consequence: Small developers can not equal the amount of AAA titles of audio-visual content and, therefore, must inevitably focus on the essentials - which is anything but bad.



H) Do you see very active in promoting the BOH, but we note with pleasure that sometimes you find time to give pearls of humor as QUOD INIT EXIT developed for C-64. Tell us about your other videogame projects.

SB) parallel to BOH and QUOD INIT EXIT , I also developed KOG , another free video game, which, however, I also updated recently. In recent weeks I have also heavily reworked an old giochillo that I did not leave in bad state it was in: it is SCRAMBLY DV. Same goes for MEMO , my first full game in assembly Amiga: originally created between 1995 and 1996, rewritten in 2003 and now again in rebuilding. The most important thing I'm working on in recent times, however, is Huenison , a video game arcade (to me) with great potential - just a shame that it has discontinued the development because I feel the attraction dell'irresistibile hacking into assemblies directly with the hardware of the Amiga "classic"! However, do not worry about the job as soon as MEMO (within a week or two, I hope), I resume Huenison.


H) When you work on your ideas, what is the technical aspect that the most weight?

SB) Honestly I'm not sure how to interpret the question. I hope to answer by telling you that I devote obsessive attention to cleanliness and order. And, of course, are always looking for an old school look, with pixels so large and hand-drawn graphics pixel by pixel. (You have correctly interpreted! NDH)

H) Well, now the interview is drawing to its end. As usual I ask if you want to send a message to readers of My Games Corner.

SB) Since I can not think of anything, take this opportunity to give the addresses of the sites of the projects mentioned above (in order of appearance):

* BOH: http:/ / * www.bohthegame.com
QUOD INIT EXIT: http://noname.c64.org/csdb/release/?id=95645
* KOG: http://saimobvq.interfree.it/KOG/
SCRAMBLY * DV: http://saimobvq.interfree.it/SCRAMBLY_DV/
* MEMO: http : / / saimobvq.interfree.it / memo /
* Huenison: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=16770.0



H) Thank you for giving me this series of annoying questions! In goodbye, on behalf of all readers, I congratulate you for BOH and best wishes for the future development of your profession!

SB) Thanks for everything:)







0 comments:

Post a Comment